New Bee Resources
Watch this space for Texas Bee(k) info
I have the most fantastic daughter-in-law.
She happened to see me pop off on social media about wanting bees and a Little Giant deluxe beekeeping kit at Atwoods.
So, my birthday, they got me the kit from Atwoods, then at Christmas, they got me another 10-frame deep.
Sooo, on 4/30/2021, we picked up my bees. My nuc (nucleus) was 4 frames in a cardboard box with a bright yellow plug. My bee supplier said to
unplug the nuc when I got them home (it was about 11pm Friday when we got home - 120+ miles from where we picked up the bees) & to wait until it was warm to move them.
It rained all day Saturday but Sunday was nice so we moved the frames from the nuc into the bottom deep on Sunday evening just before dark.
This photo was from Sunday before we moved them.
Things I wish I'd known before my first hive:
What do you wish you'd known before your first hive?
- to attend as many beekeeper meetings as possible before getting my nuc
(list of Texas associations starting with Texas Beekepers Association, which is challenging given my schedule and the BA meeting schedules.
- what a nuc was... and, why they are better for newbees than package bees...check these glossaries: Better Bee,
- I had done a lot of reading so I knew the parts of the hive but before getting bees, it is really important to know the
parts of a bee hive and,
I should have used only 1 deep body, not both of them that I had. Just because you have the woodware does not mean it needs to be used.
- what is a bee, and what is not a bee?
- where to get bees: when is the best time to order them & when is the best time to move them to the hive (spring,
and local if possible, join a local club for nuc referrals. Get your nuc early in the morning or late in the evening.
Have your hive body ready for them to move in - my nosy girls started moving in before I moved the nuc frames over -
TIP: put a drop of lemongrass essential oil inside your hive body.
- best places for equipment or supplies in east Texas: Texas Bee Supply in Farmersville,
Mann Lake in Marshall, Dadant in Paris
- books & magazines, newsletters: Bee Culture and American Bee Journal
- classes on managing a honeybee colony
- what to do about swarms (who to refer to for swarms with non-bee(k) people) - removals of colonies are not free unless you find a local who wants the hive but
they are not likely to be insured/bonded/etcetera so it is best to engage a pro like the ones on this list
if the swarms invades a building
Second inspection almost a month after bringing the girls home:
Beekeeping resources that I love - I am required by Amazon to let you know that these are Amazon affiliate links...
Copyright drleanne.net. All Rights Reserved. Last update 1 Aug 2021